Choose your language

AZIENDA CERTIFICATA DA

Contact

Società Agricola EVARISTIANO
Società Agricola Semplice

Sede Operativa:
Stabilimento Enologico di Is Araus
Loc. Is Araus SP 10 Km 10,500
Marina di Putzu Idu
San Vero Milis -OR-

Tel. 0783/52007

Fax 0783/52004

E-Mail: vinievaristiano@gmail.com

Find us with Google Map!

History

It was the founder of the Evaristian Community of the Sacred Heart, Father Evaristo Madeddu, who initiated winemaking activities on the Estate back in 1939. Our continuing production and sale of wines represents not only a perpetuation of these traditions but also a source of financial support for our uncompromising commitment to the education and training of both those visiting the Evaristian Community and the inhabitants of those areas given over to vine cultivation. All the grapes grown in these areas, in the locality of Sinis in Sardinia, are vinified using techniques which guarantee that our wines are certified BIOLOGICAL.

The programmed planting of new varietals, which was started in Sinis in the early 1980s, is now nearing completion. We are currently in the process of replanting - with Vermentino and Cannonau DOC grapes - the last of the six hectares authorised for cultivation by the Regional Council.

To undertake the cultivation in the vineyards, the Community makes use of the professional winemaking backgrounds of some of its members. In addition, a tremendous contribution is made by numerous volunteers and Honorary members who respond to the multifarious challenges of the work of the Community with great enthusiasm and versatility. Indeed, this valuable and reliable assistance is given by these volunteers and Honorary members (doctors, engineers, mechanics, farmers, artisans) even when they are deeply involved in other social and educational activities under the auspices of the Community.
The total surface area of the Community’s holdings is around twenty hectares, of which twelve are given over to vine cultivation. The programme of qualitative improvements to the vineyards is now almost complete. 
We employ the Guyot method of vine training. The vine density on the estate is 3,700 vines with a bud load per hectare of 35/40,000.

Father Evaristo Madeddu

Evaristo Madeddu was born on 25th November 1890, in Villaputzu in the province of Cagliari, on the Italian island of Sardinia. He was the son of Vincenzo, a blacksmith, and Angelina Corona, a very devout woman who was to instill in her son the love of God, thereby planting the seed of what would become the young man’s profoundly-felt religious calling.
After dedicating his early years to working in his father’s office, to religious observance and to caring for his paralysed mother, he worked first as a blacksmith, then a potter, a farmer, and a coalman, in order to contribute all he could to the family’s income.
Driven by his religious vocation, he left his family and his village and moved to the city of Cagliari where he was to try in vain to enter first the City Seminary and the seminaries of a number of other religious orders.

It was to transpire that the Lord had chosen a different path for Evaristo, a path which was to cross that of Beniamina Piredda, a woman afflicted by bodily suffering but sustained by her steadfast Christian faith. Meeting Beniamina, the young Evaristo was inspired to establish an Institute, which he named the Evaristian Community of the Sacred Heart. It was founded as a non-denominational charitable organisation for purposes of worship and assistance to those in need.
The cherished aim of creating a new Community was only achieved after many hours of prayer and careful deliberation, and with the consent of the local religious authorities. The Community was dedicated to Our Lady of Good Counsel and to Pope Saint Evaristus. The Community was composed of both a male and a female Order.
The co-founder Beniamina Piredda was appointed director of the female Order, with Evaristo Madeddu her counterpart in the male Order.
Father Evaristo Madeddu passed on in Cagliari on the 6th April 1966.

A highly charismatic figure, Father Evaristo enchanted the very souls of those around him. His modesty, his positive attitude, his way with words and, above all, his faith were instrumental is encouraging all those with whom he came into contact. Indeed, many individuals were so touched by his presence that after meeting him for the first time they immediately embraced the tenets of his faith and shared in its goals.
The first Evaristian House opened its doors in June 1925 in the town of Mandas. Shortly after, centres were set up in Cagliari, Guamaggiore and Donigala Siurgus.

The successes of these remarkable early years notwithstanding, trials and tribulations were to stall the hitherto burgeoning Institute, but the Lord was soon to present a new path in the form of a centre in Donigala Fenughedu, in the province of Oristano, which within a few years became the Mother-House of the Community, blessed by the then Bishop of Oristano, Monsignor Del Rio.
In January 1936 the Sacred Congregation of Rites granted the permanence of the Most Holy Sacrament in the Church of the Evaristians.
In parallel with its religious activities, the Community endeavoured to carry out those other works for which it had been conceived: giving assistance to abandoned and orphaned children and those stricken by poverty, and offering religious instruction, education and youth guidance through the parish network.
Another centre was then built by the Evaristian Brothers on the reclaimed marshland at San Gavino Monreale, in the province of Cagliari. Simultaneously, the female congregation was active in spreading the Word of God, first in Baratili San Pietro, and later in Baudalu and Serramanna. It was in Serramanna, in 1938, that Father Evaristo Madeddu commenced work on a colossal project (which was to be fraught with problems and complications) to drain and  reclaim an extensive marshland of around seventy hectares, before long rendering it extraordinarily fertile and perfect for cultivation.

The Institute functions in harmony with the Benedictine credo of ‘Ora et Labora’ (Pray and Work), and Father Evaristo always preached accordingly that work is the lifeblood of every Christian.
The Institute has since expanded further, with several new centres being opened: the Community is currently active in the localities of Donigala Fenughedu, Putzu Idu and Bauladu in the province of Oristano, in Serramanna and Villasimius in the province of Cagliari.
The great faith of the founder, combined with the inspirational nature of the Institute, attracted in just a few short years a large group of followers, from a range of different backgrounds (agricultural workers, office staff, factory workers and professionals). Father Evaristo called them ‘Honorary Brothers’, to reflect their desire to contribute to the works of the Community by volunteering their services. To this day, new followers continue to approach the Institute, drawn to it by the humanity of the founder expressed in the day-to-day work of the Community.